Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Emotional Breakdowns

This week we have to start thinking of ideas for our "Emotion Test" project. This project sounds really cool and quite challenging since we will for the first time attempt to convey emotions and acting while using all the body mechanics principles we have learned so far. We had a stern warning from the gang at animationmentor.com to KEEP IT SIMPLE, or in other words K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid!) So with learning to figure out and test our limitations with projects, how do we know if we've gone too far into the realm of projects that are over complicated and therefore will never get finished by the deadline? I have been struggling with story ideas for this project. One of my weak points is coming up with ideas for projects, it always takes me a lot of thinking time to brainstorm, then a bunch of reference and planning time before I'm even ready to start animating on the computer. For our emotion test I have come up with a bunch of different scenarios but the one I really want to try has the potential to be a disaster since it includes 2 different walks, a heavy pull and much acting. I don't want to get in over my head but am not sure how to KISS this one.

The emotions our character has to run through are:
1. Relaxed
2. Alert
3. Engaged
4. Rejected or Disgusted

Our character has to go through all these emotions in this specific order and the story has to make sense and be entertaining. This one could get tricky.

3 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger MattG said...

I know what you mean about having trouble with the ideas. I tend to get a basic idea early on, start working on it, and then in the middle of things I get a moment of "OH! I should have done THIS!" I have a lot of trouble coming up new ideas, especially once one idea sticks in my head, I can't seem to clear it out to get other (better) ones.

I have a couple of thoughts for this assignment, but I started thinking about it last week to get a head start. Now I need to decide on one so I can pose Stewie. I think it's the KISS part that's going to be hard. (Not to mention a pose that says "Engaged". :) )

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Rebecca Perez Stodolny said...

I totally agree with you here... it's SUPER hard to come up with a cute, good, yet simple idea. Personally, I find that if I look ahead in the class that I can start thinking about some ideas at least 2 weeks ahead of time.

~r

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger anthea said...

great advice guys! you rock!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home