Monday, August 08, 2005

Mime Allstars

This weekend was my super fun Mime Theatre Workshop. The experience was amazing and I learned a lot about Mime history and practice. It is amazing the things that mimes are able to do and the positions they are able to keep for extended periods of time. It made me see that this dramatic artform which is a mixture of the oldest form of storytelling and dance is one of the most beautiful, unique and misunderstood artforms around. We learned about some of the most famous mimes like Marcel Marceau and Etienne Decroux. We even learned how to do a type of mime that is so exact and difficult that I had a hard time with it. It has to do with the degree you can bend any part on any axis. It is a tough thing to master and my instructor Lorrin Salm said takes years of dedication and practice. Hmm, I think I am more of a mime historian and fan and mabey not cut out for the performance side. It was great just to hear all the stories about the history of Mime, back in the day in Europe there were laws and restrictions on story telling through words in theatres, so many theatres had to develop a way to tell stories without speaking. Another fun part of the class was displaying an emotion through a single pose or "statue". This idea totally stuck with me and reminded me of the many pose assignments we had in the first semester of AM. Really shows how the body is saying more than the face and words do. I also learned that in mime you have to be aware of the entire body and what every part is doing, can't leave any part "unsuspended" or without life, this is true for our 3d characters as well, you have to make a decision on each part of the body, not just let it do whatever it wants. This workshop was lot of fun and I can't wait to apply all that I learned into my animations!

1 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger anthea said...

i didn't get a chance to take notes, we were on our feet the whole time, more like a performance class than a lecture, although i wish i could have gone to a mime history lesson as well. sounds like a very interesting and creative time when mime was developed. i will try to post some more stuff about what i learned. some useful things for animation. coming soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home