Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Time management skills

Time management skills.. well I have none!!! Having a full time job and doing animation mentor is going to be tricky. My hat goes off to all the students who have been doing this all along, not to mention those with families, it is truly an amazing feat. How do you do it? When do you sleep? For me it is going to take some getting used to. So to compensate I am trying to keep my animation idea to a manageable size, I even choose a shorter clip. I am staging my character sitting down, that should help a little since I won't have to worry about animating legs and feet, although I will have to pay closer attention to the eyes and fingers, a trade off I guess. I still haven't revised my grease pencil test to a level I feel good about. I need to fix that up before moving onto the 3D Bishop, the trouble is I am never home! Looks like Saturday will be my only animating day again this week, we are moving on Sunday, so much is going on. I guess time management is one of the skills we are going to need to develop to make in this industry.

This week's lecture on Eyes and Blinks was taught my my mentor, Jason Ryan!! He really went in depth to a lot of different types of eye moves and blinks and why you would use them. great stuff. I hopefully can incorporate some of these ideas into my assignment.

On a similar not a bunch of great blocking pieces from the students this week. Wow, they are all getting so much better at an alarming rate. I think will all the excitement that has been happening around campus, some people have taken a look at their workflow and really ramped up their routine. Great job everyone!

4 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger Sara Wade said...

I feel for you Anthea. Hang in there. It gets really crazy sometimes with too much going on. Just try to savor your time working on AM as relaxing and fun rather than home"work" and think of it this way...once you move to West Hollywood you can hang out with Reb more often. :-)

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Carlos Fins said...

Hey Anthea, the only suggestion I can make is what works for me, and my situation (i.e. full time job, wife and a baby), and that is scheduling yourself so you can get some rest. Otherwise, you'll find that your body will start to shut down on ya in the middle of something important. I try and "coast" on Sunday and Monday nights, and relax a little bit. I usually hang with the family a bit, and any ideas that I get, I put them on the sketchbook. Then Tuesday, I start gearing up and hitting the assignments. It's really hard for me, because unlike everyone else with families and kids, my days off do not coincide with my wife's days off.. so on top of school and work, I also have to take care of my son on my days off.
Before, I would try and keep working on Sunday nights and Monday nights, only to find me becoming very worn down by Friday, and that's usually crunch time for me on the assignments. So all I can say is make at least one night a priority to come home and get some rest. :-D

Carlos Fins

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger anthea said...

That's great advice Carlos, I also find Mondays a good day of rest since on our AM schedule Sunday is like a regular wook week's Friday. It will take some getting used to.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger KENSHi said...

yeah, the time management thing can be tough. i almost had a breakdown during the second quarter thinking i just wasn't cut out for this animation business, but then i took a few deep breaths and made more time to enjoy life and have been doing much better since then. i make sure i get enough sleep and exercise and always have food on hand and made sure that i was looking for ways to apply everything i was doing to animation so i would never feel like i was wasting time, even if i wasn't sitting at a computer and animating. i'll go to dinner parties, but the whole time i watch how people gesture and react to each other. i love that we can learn this anywhere we go! something else i keep reminding myself, if you don't have your health, you won't be good for anything to anybody. you'll find the right balance! best wishes on the move.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home