Saturday, January 07, 2006

Giving up is hard to do

When someone asks me what I did on New Years Eve, I have to admit that I spent that entire weekend working on my Animation Mentor revisions. Yes, sad but true that instead of partying the night away I opted to work on my animation practice. And this lead to me think about what other sorts of things I've given up in order to persue this art.

For one there are the weekends, for me I would rather spend my weekends getting in the extra practice time. If that is what is going to make my animation assignment better then that is what I need to do. And yes this does include waking up at 6am on Saturdays and Sundays. Since our homework is due Sundays it became necesssary for me to restructure my weekly workload to get the most out of my assignments, this included giving up most of my weekend.

And thinking back to this summer, when I cancelled an entire European vacation that I was planning on taking. I had been planning the trip for months, which included meeting up with a friend and a cousin on different legs of the vacation to England and Greece. The trip unfourtunately landed smack dab in the middle of Class 2 Body Mechanics, and I realized there was no way I could miss 2 weeks of school and be able to catch up. I was struggling pretty badly at the beggining of AM and needed all the practice time I could get. So unfourtunately for me and my vacation mates, I had to cancel the trip.

But oddly enough I never regretted any of theese decisions to give up my time to the persuit of learning. I knew that I neeeded to give it my best shot, that I would need to sacrifice to have a chance to learn. Animation is such a hard artform to learn and even though I am only at the beginning of my education, I already know there will be tons more hard work in the future, and I am willing to do that.

7 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Great post and your hard work totally shows in your animation. Keep pushing it!

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Dr. Gordon said...

Nice Work... Keep it up. So you are a Jersey Girl?

-Andrew

ps, sorry I never was able to return your post on Animation Mentor. I dont have access to the site.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger anthea said...

partying and having a life is soo last year!!

-andrew, haha! yes originally from NJ, but now living in LA!!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Freddy Burgos said...

Hey Anthea, I totally understand what you mean by giving up things. There a bunch of things I used to do on a daily basis, but now it's work-snack/break-AM-dinner-AM-sleep (repeat as necessary).

The funny thing is I don't miss them too much because this is what I want to do and you gotta put in the time.

Your work is looking great! Keep on doin' what you was doin' when you was doin' it!

See yah at the next So Cal gathering!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Aja B said...

Anthea!! We miss you already! :-( Hope you're having a great time at work!!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Sara Wade said...

Anthea I know exactly what you mean. I think there is a fine line though. Over class 3 I got so immersed in AM that I gave up my gym membership....and with it, my good health. When break started I decided to get a membership at a new gym and to try to get better at balancing AM with the other truly important things...like health. I am ok with giving up most social activities, vacations, etc., but I really do need my time at the gym each day. My mood turns to crap without it. ;-)

I hope that Disney is rockin and I am really glad that you are keeping up your blog. We miss you.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Brad said...

yep. we are suppossed to do a new audio clip and I coun't help thinking where is Anthea three week ahead asking about the next audio selection...
See you soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home