Saturday, February 25, 2006

Revision of "Olga" Animation

















Well this revision was a long time in the making but I have finally been able to call it over! There comes a point where you just have to move on to focus on your current work at hand. This animation was hard for me to let go of since I really liked some of the poses/mood of it and didn't want to throw it away. This personality walk from a stopped position was our first assignment in Animation Mentor Class 2 - Body Mechanics. I ended up not being able to finish and polish it because we had to move on to other assignments at a pretty fast rate. I decided to revisit it this year and see if I could make any improvements. I want to start getting animations together for a reel, and I found that all of them need a lot of tweaking before I can show them. Next month it's "The Queen of Sheba" animation revisited. We'll see what I can do to fix that mess up with the limited spare time I have between my full time job and also working on other animations in my spare time. I have decided to only work on each revision for a month, after that whatever I have will be FINAL.

It's interesting to know that most of the people at my work don't put much stock into revising old animations and looking back. They think when your animation is done, it's DONE and you should immedietely move on to another animation when you are trying to learn. We had a meeting with John Ripa and he mentioned to never spend too many months on one animation because each of your animation tests should get sucessively better. Trying to continue to improve is always the goal of all this hard work. I am looking forward to getting these revisions behind me so I can look to the future.

7 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Benjamin De Schrijver said...

I tend to agree with them... I have a difficult time seeing why you'd want to revise this. You've grown so much since then, and a new animation would turn out much better than polishing an assignment with a base that's less solid than what you could do now.

And I was wondering where Ripa went off to! He's still at Disney? As a CG animator?

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger anthea said...

yeah I know what you are saying. I'm at the point right now where I don't have much to put on a reel. I have a few that I wanted for a reel but thought they weren't polished enough, like this one and my last 2 dialogue assignments from class 3. I tend to agree that you should always keep moving forward, that's why the bulk of my non work free time is going towards my current campfire animation that I am working on at work. I can only work on it at work, and this weekend the facility had downtime, so it was a lucky break. I have only alloted a very small amount of time for these revisions, what few hours I can find in the morning every so often, then after a month what I have will have to be final. I am trying not to get too obsessed about revisions anymore, but at the same time I do want to have at least some things on a reel. I also needed to render any finals for the reel so that is something I'm working on too.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Ali said...

I like the revision a lot , the way she gets up from leaning to the frame is very nicely done. The only thing I see that can be improved right now is the arc the pelvis travels in after the get up and the timing of the leaning back against the frame with the hand.

great anim though anthea , one more pass and it will be solid.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Sara Wade said...

Hey Anthea! Olga is looking great -I do agree with Ali though that one final polishing pass would be good. So if you can only work on your campfire animation at work - does that mean it's a Disney rig so we won't get to see the 3d version on the outside? I was looking forward to checking it out so hopefully us outsiders can see it soon. :-)

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Kimotion said...

I was at work sorting mail and one of the mail was an outgoing mail addressed to a woman named Anthea! There IS ANOTHER Anthea!

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Sean MacNeil said...

Hey Anthea, this looks really nice. It was definitely worth putting the extra time in, and it payed off for you, this is excellent. i agree with Ali about the arc on the hips during the move off the doorway. Can't see anything else though. This is a sweet animation Anthea!

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger anthea said...

Hi guys! Thank you always for all the comments. Unfourtunately I won't be able to make any changes to this one, I have to move on to other revisions, and my current animation takes up most of my free time, but thank you for your comments. I still haven't decided if I will even use this one on a reel. I have been thinking lately about reel lengths, and after seeing way too many long reels, I want to keep mine short and sweet with a maximum of 5 animations.

Jeff, that's awesome that you found another Anthea, I met one once at a store in NYC, a thrilling experience.

Hey Aga, your name looks very familiar, are you sure you're not Aja's long lost sister??? Thanks for the advice about keeping her cat like, I am actually in the preplanning phase of a very cat like female character that I will keep this in mind for..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home