Thursday, March 16, 2006

Animation Youngsters

I've just been turned onto the website Acme Animation. It's a non-profit educational site for young teenage animation students. It's a great way for highschool and college students to learn about animation, and it's free. I think the way it works is beginner animators can submit their tests and move up the ranks, when you reach a high enough level you are eligible to get your animation test reviewed by a professional animator. The way they can earn points to be able to get their work seen by professionals is to give crits to other students. This way everyone learns and is helping eachother. I have been lucky enough to be able to sit in on a few live video confrence sessions with Acme where Clay Kaytis gives live crits to some local animation students, the process is amazing, and the students work really improves. On CG talk a few young animators have been interested in joining Animation Mentor, but aren't yet old enough to apply, this site would be a great opportunity for them to get their feet wet and when they are finally ready for Animation Mentor they will be two steps ahead of the game. Definitely a great resource, pass it along to any animation youngsters.

3 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Blogger Dan Segarra said...

Wow! This is incredible Anthea! Man, if something like this existed when I was in highschool I would have totally done it. Crazy! The tests they post in the home page are prett nicely done too. :)

Animation rocks!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger anthea said...

Hey Dan!! Yeah it certainly is an amazing resource, esp considering it's free!! The funny thing is that in highschool I had no idea what I wanted to do for a career, I knew something in art but I didn't know what. It took all of college and grad school til I finally figured out I wanted to learn animation, and luckily AM opened and helped me learn this amazingly hard artform. These young animation students are so lucky that they are already learning the principles and terminology at such a young age, they will definitely be ninjas by the time they're 20!!

Any site that encourages people to persue their animation dreams is A OK w me!

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Dan Segarra said...

Wow, that's pretty cool that after all of that education, you changed direction and went into animation. That's tough! It's tough getting into animation in general, let alone after studying something else. I suspect it's not a popular area of interest with most parents either... well it wasn't for my parents at least. But you gotta' take risks, right? Look at where your risk to change your career took you. :)

It's totally in the heart... hence your blog title. :) If you didn't have that desire you probably wouldn't have taken that risk.

Anyway, good stuff. I actually gotta' get back to my assignment. It's the last week of the class and I have a TON of polish to work on. Cya later Anthea! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home