Monday, April 17, 2006

The great outdoors

Living in California is so different than NYC. For one thing when you are "outside" in NYC you mostly just see buildings are high as the eye can see, there's never really any open space, unless you go to Central Park which is nice but essentially a "nature cage" Here is LA there are so many more outdoor activities to take advantage of like hiking, going to the beaches or mountains. So much is right within your grasp, and that is something I'm thankful for. And you can enjoy a meal at an outdoor cafe with an actual view, so different from the concrete jungle of NY. Yes LA has it's own problems and pitfalls but overall I am liking it much better than NYC. It's weird because I heard lots of bad things about LA, mostly from New Yorkers that moved here, that I didn't know what to expect, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far. There are a lot of compromises you have to make, and you do have to give up lots of conviences of NY but overall I think it's worth it. LA is also so spread out that I hear it sometimes takes years to find your niche and the area you like the most, it takes a lot of experimentation. I was just wondering if anyone else who's made the big move has had a similar experience, good or bad. It would be nice to hear some more perspectives on the subject.

7 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Mau said...

Since I moved from Peru, so far I've lived in the south east, the north east and the south west.

All of these areas have pros and cons. The reason why I like LA the best is because it reminds me of home quiet a bit. The plants, the weather...the spanish tile rooftops...

It's been super positive for me because, having lived in other big cities, LA still makes me feel "at home" All the downfalls LA has, you can find in a way or another in any other city.

The difference is, I can wear flip flops in Feb. And i don't get snowed from late Oct till past easter. That alone is worth any amount of traffic on the 405 or the 101.

mau.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger anthea said...

hey mau! i have to agree w you that the plant life and scenery is worth any little discomfort from time to time. i definitely don't miss the long and freezing ny winters.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Brian "My Fault" Nicolucci said...

Can you get real bagels in LA? That was what I missed most from NY. I would go to places out here and ask if they boil their bagels and I would get that glazed over look from what was usually some high school kid working the counter. Ack!!
Dakota plans on going to film school after he graduates but he wants to avoid LA (which is crazy I know) so it is nice to hear someone I trust say LA is nice. Now if only I can get him to listen. Danged kids!! :p

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Sara Wade said...

Anthea that is really nice to hear. Aaron and I are moving to the Bay Area soon (for the summer) but we are also aware that we may have to move again later this year to LA if that is where the jobs are. I have heard lots of bad things about LA too but I LOVE the weather there and I love to garden. Any place where you can grow birds of paradise flowers on your patio can't be all bad right? I alos love so many of the palces near there. You can take long weekends in Big Sur and there are some really gorgeous places that I have always wanted to go camping at. THe only thing I am worried about is finding the right place. I prefer walking to driving whenever possible. I hear LA is a "drive everywhere" city. I hoep there are neighborhoods somewhere there where you can live close to the cafes, book stores, a corner grocery, etc. We'll make the best of wherever we end up. I just really hope that we end up in SF or LA. I have had my lifetime fill of long cold winters. :-)

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger anthea said...

hey brian, i have found some alright bagels, not as good as nyc though, but what i really miss are bialys, i used to get one every morning in nyc, i miss them so much.i can understand why dakota would want to stay away from LA, i felt the same thing in my early years, it took a lot of hardship in NYC to make me see the light and all the job prospects here.

hi sara, welcome to california, you are going to love it. i just might have to make a trip up to san fran to see you, or you can come back to LA. moving is certainly a big decision. there are many areas where walking is an option, you just have to experiment to find the right neighboorhood for you. some people like to live close to their work so they can at least bike to work. i wish i was close enough to bike here.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Brian "My Fault" Nicolucci said...

Oh I know, I have pretty much given up on finding bialys out here. Ugh, maybe we can find some nice friendly New Yorker's to Fed Ex us some! :)

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger anthea said...

hey brian! yeah it's a pretty dim bialy situation... that's one thing for sure i miss about nyc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home